1. what to expect during pregnancy,
2. how to have a more confident and joyous birth, and
3. the ins and outs of parenting a newborn.
A doula, or labour support person, will bring physical and emotional tools with her to your labour and birthing process so that you feel safer, more comfortable, stronger, advocated for and empowered. Doulas are knowledgeable, supportive, compassionate, resourceful, open and accepting. Your doula will want you to feel that every decision you and your birthing partner make is 100% respected.
How does it work?
A doula will meet with you and your partner (or someone who will be supporting you) through your pregnancy and birth – in your home, virtually, at The WOMB or in another place that feels safe and comfortable to you. It is recommended that you connect with The WOMB as early in your pregnancy as possible so that we can find you the perfect support. Last minute support may also be available, but we don’t want you to be disappointed if there isn’t.
In-Person / Hybrid Birth Doula Support
The In-Person/Hybrid Birth Doula Package is our most popular package because it allows you to go with the flow of your labour and birth process, and provincial and hospital guidelines. Your doula is available to you in home, in hospital (depending on current support guidelines) and virtually. This support includes:
Free Initial consultation
Prenatal & Pregnancy Support:
- Two (2-3) prenatal meetings
- Free “Childbirth Without Fear” Workshop
- Phone, email and text support
- Shared doula care and back up doula support
Dedicated 24/7 on call labour and birth support from 37 weeks
Continuous, loving labour & birth support including:
- Early labour support at home and by phone
- Continuous support from home to your place of birth
- Physical, emotional and informational support, for the duration of your birth
- Birth Photography
- Birth Notes
- Assistance with breastfeeding and baby care by phone and text
- Two (2) postnatal visits
Virtual Birth Doula Support
Although we not always be able to be together physically, your Doula’s experience, knowledge, confidence, coping practices and comfort measures will guide you every step and stage of your labour and birthing process. Virtual doula support is a great option for:
- families living outside the physical catchment area of any WOMB location
- families whose chosen birth hospital is not yet re-opened to physical doula support
- families who have not expanded their circle of care beyond their immediate family
Virtual support includes:
- the traditional prenatal and postnatal meetings all done virtually (as above)
- a tailored approach to support
- summarized emails regarding the discussions had in the meetings
- cheat sheet handouts and links to research and resources
- phone, email and text support
- virtual platform support (may be through FaceTime, Zoom or another platform as arranged)
Postnatal Doula Support
The role of the postnatal doula is a fluid role that adapts and changes with the changing needs of your family. Your doula will effectively coach you, the new parents to become the “experts” of your baby, while offering tools, education and support. This support is based upon your needs and desires as a family, guiding you without judgement. Our families have seen a tremendous impact and shared with us that these include…
- Increased breastfeeding success
- Enhanced parenting confidence
- Improved family relationships
- Faster healing with education in self-care after birth
- Decreased in Postpartum Mood Anxiety Disorders
- Increased father or partner’s confidence and involvement
Our goal is to increase your parenting confidence and provide you with the tools and skills to be on your own. “There are no perfect parents, just perfect parenting intentions”.
Postnatal doula support is provided in shifts – both daytime and overnight. Virtual postnatal doula support is also offered.
We can’t wait to hear from you!